I am slowly talking Neil round to a family camping trip this year with the kids. I think they will really enjoy being under the stars and outdoors but he isn’t quite convinced just yet. We are a family of 6 and the twins are only 3 so he thinks it would be too much of a handful. The thought of pitching a tent setting up camp and all that comes with family camping scares him. I think it would be fun though.
I am going to carry on working on convincing him whilst doing some research into what makes a family camping trip easier and more fun. Whilst looking I came across a camping guide that Halfords have produced which is a great starting point in deciding what kind of camping trip you want to go on. Ours will definitely be near a beach and hopefully we will have the bikes with us as well.
Having never camped as a family before I also wanted to hear from people who have been camping and what are their must have items when camping with family. Some of the answers made me giggle and some really did make perfect sense and will be things I would certainly add to my list.
- Wet wipes! They clean everything, dirty hands, faces etc and save a trip to the shower block for a quick wash if it’s chucking it down! – from Deborah at Country Heart and Home
- A torch! Perfect for shadow animal entertainment and late night walks to the toilet – From cat Rock and Roll Pussy Cat
- Layers! The evenings get cold and layering up the kids is the best bet. Also good over night as it gets chilly – From Amy at Eps and Amy
- Rain coats! Even if it looks sunny they are great for keeping the wind off, sitting on on a damp bench or grass and British weather is so unreliable it might well rain! – From Louise at Pink Pear Bear
- We couldn’t survive without our Cadac stove. Big enough to cook proper family meals – I’m convinced that our girls behave better when they’ve had good food that they are used to – From Helen at Casa Costello
- A potty! Saves trekking over muddy fields and tripping over tent ropes to get to the (probably filthy!) Toilets in the middle of the night! Oh and your own pillows! From Lauren at Scrap Book Blog
Food and Drink Ideas:
- Marshmallows, for roasting over a fire or just scoffing out of the bag! – from Kelly at Lets Go Somewhere Nice
- Alcohol!! For chilling back and relaxing at the end of the day. Even if it’s raining wine makes everything better! – From Catherine at Here Come The Hoppers (I Like this idea)
My favourite must have’s are Wine, Marshmallows and Baby wipes and not to forget your own pillow. A good nights sleep solves everything and I love my own pillows. I have all the ingredients in for smores so might have to make some to eat whilst doing my research.
Whilst doing my research I have discovered that once you cover the initial layout of your tent and camping essentials its a really cheap holiday option. That’s a big seller for us as flights and a trip abroad for a family of 6 soon mounts up very fast but camping will mean we can have several trips a year. I’m now off to look at tents and camping equipment next to see what’s out there.
We would love to hear any recommendation for tents, campsites and other camping equipment please leave is a comment below.
** This is a collaborative post with Halfords’s. All thoughts and opinions are our own