Tesco have set us a challenge to make a meal using Cypriot New Potatoes. Well if you search Cypriot New Potatoes not much actually comes up. However they are a new potato and therefore have a waxy texture. This then gave me lots or recipes to choose from when doing my research.
Lots of people have new potatoes served with melted butter some herbs and seasoning and we are no acception in this house. As you can see below we made garlic and basil chicken with new potatoes for the this evenings meal. Lots of people will opt for new potatoes or salad potatoes when having a BBQ as they are perfect hot or cold.
New potatoes are great in potato salads. The choice of extras you can add to a potato salad is never ending I came across loads on the internet when looking for inspiration. Not just potato and mayonnaise, people added bacon, herbs onions the list was endless.
But our challenge was to create something new, a unique recipe. So using some inspiration from all the recipes i have seen we have created a New potatoes with Salmon, Feta and roasted Mediterranean Vegetables
Ingredients for 2 people
6-8 Cypriot new potatoes
8-10 fresh tomatoes
1 red onion
1 white onion
Fresh Basil and coriander
3-4 cloves garlic
2 pieces of salmon
- Chop all vegetables except potatoes. You want chunky veg so it roasts and keep some texture when cooked.
- Place in a large over dish (we use a large glass dish but metal work too).
- Crush garlic and add herds, parpika and drizzle of olive oil. Stir through and mix it all up.
- Roast in the over for about 60 mins gas mark 5. Stir regularly and length of cooking will depend how crunchy or soft you like your vegetable.
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking prepare your salmon. To do this you need two large sheets of tin foil. Place a piece of salmon in the middle, drizzle with oil add two slice of lemon and season. You then make a tin foil parcel by lifting up and meeting the ends together at the top then rolling/folding them down. You pinch the ends together so it’s all sealed. These will take around 15-20 minutes to cook depending on thickness on the shelf under your vegetables. So pop them in once your vegetable start to soften and char.
- When you pop the fish in the oven you need to put the new postatoes in a pan of water and cook on the hob these will also take about 20 minutes to go soft. Check softness by sticking a knife in.
- Once potatoes are cooked crush them up of chop them in half and coat with some butter and pinch of salt.
- You then need to add everything together. You will now have room in your oven dish to flake the fish in, crumble the feta and add the potatoes. Stir it all through gently so just turning it over so you don’t destroy the fish or potatoes.
- Serve in a large bowl.
The Cypriot new potatoes are currently in Tesco stores nationwide priced £1.25 and you can buy all the other Ingredients from Tesco as well. If you are wanting something a bit more Mediterranean then you can also add chunks of chorizo to your vegetables. We often make the Mediterranean vegetables and it adds and nice texture to it and makes a great side dish to accompany fish or meat. You can also adapt the vegetables to what you like and what is in season the recipe is just a guideline and a starting point to create your own masterpiece.
We would love to see what combinations you come up with so please leave us a picture or comment below.
You can also see all the other entries over on twitter under #CypriotNewPotatoes