Slow cooked Ox Cheeks
This was the tastiest meal I have ever cooked in the slow cooker, I was blown away by the taste and the meat just fell apart. The sauce was just amazing so rich in flavour we even saved what sauce was left to use with another meal, you just couldn’t throw something that tasty away.
3lb Beef Ox Cheeks chopped into large chunks
1 white onion roughly chopped
1 Celery stalk chopped in 1 cm pieces
1 carrot roughly diced
4 garlic cloves crushed/minced
1 ½ tsp Thyme
4 dried bay leaves
1 cup beef stock
2 cups of full bodied red wine
- Chop the cheeks into large chunks and brown off in a frying pan (you can toss in seasoned flour first if you wish to, I didn’t).
- Place the onion, celery, carrot, garlic herbs in the slow cooker.
- Add the browned cheeks.
- Add the stock and the red wine and mix all together.
- Cook on high for about 6 hours until the cheeks are tender (this will vary depending on your cooker).
- Remove the cheeks to a warm plate and cover.
- Pour the sauce and vegetable into a saucepan and using a blender make a smooth gravy.
- Heat gently till the sauce reduces by about ¼ in volume, the sauce will be a thick consistency and taste amazing.
We served ours with some carrot and Swede mash as well as some creamy plain mash but you could serve however you wish I have listed some idea below
Mash and vegetables in a large Yorkshire pudding
Just with Mash
With a large fluffy Jacket potato
New potatoes and vegetable
Use your imagination as you can serve this anything because the taste is amazing
Please do come and take a look at our other slow cooker recipes