The kids love the pancakes you can get from ASDA they love warming them up. The downside is they don’t always have them in.
So off in search I went and we tried and tested lots of recipes to make our own. We like the below recipe the best. Every time they have friends stay over or there cousins we have to make home made pancakes for breakfast.
The recipe is really easy to follow and if you don’t have buttermilk you can use milk with lemon juice instead. Just pop a tablespoon of lemon juice of vinegar in a cup then add milk. Do a tablespoon of lemon juice/vinegar for every cup full of milk. Let it stand for 15 minutes to go sour.
We make full size ones and little mini ones for the twins to eat and these are so easy to make Kaitlin age 10 often makes them for all the family she is confident with the cooker but if not your children could make the batter and watch you cook
How to make your own American Pancakes
150g plain flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
1tsp baking powder
Large pinch of salt
¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
Toppings of your choice – you can use fruits, syrup whatever takes your fancy I know my kids like fruit and chocolate spread ones.
- Sift flour in to large bowl along with baking powder and bicarbonate soda.
- Add sugar and salt and mix together.
- Add the egg and half of the buttermilk and mix together till you have a thick batter.
- Now add remaining buttermilk and mix well.
- If you are having fruit you can actually add that in now, when you add the batter to frying pan you can sprinkle it on top while still sticky or you can just serve and the side and have plain pancakes.
- Warm a non-stick frying pan and lightly oil.
- Drop in about 2 tbsp of batter per pancake and cook for about 1 ½ – 2 minutes till bubbles are appearing on top and underneath is golden brown. (add fruit as son as you place in pan if you are using that method).
- Flip pancake and cook again for 1-2 minute.
- Serve how you like them.
.Check out more breakfast recipes here