Homemade Lava Lamps
What you need
- A clear plastic bottle or Jar
- Vegetable oil
- Food coloring
- Alka-Seltzer (or other tablets that fizz)
- Pour water into the plastic bottle/jar until it is around one quarter full (you might want to use a funnel when filling the bottle so you don’t spill anything).
- Pour in vegetable oil until the bottle is nearly full.
- Wait until the oil and water have separated.
- Add around a dozen drops of food coloring to the bottle (choose any color you like).
- Watch as the food coloring falls through the oil and mixes with the water.
- Cut an Alka-Seltzer tablet into smaller pieces (around 5 or 6) and drop one of them into the bottle, things should start getting a little crazy, just like a real lava lamp!
- When the bubbling stops, add another piece of Alka-Seltzer and enjoy the show!
Take a look at our other children’s activities
Please follow and like us: